1962 Rebuilding of the Paris Lodron University Salzburg.
1964 Start of academic business at the Faculty of Philosophy.
1965 Foundation of the University Sport Institute (USI) at the University of Salzburg. Prof. Dr. Erwin Niedermann gets entrusted with the establishment of this institution.
Department of Physical Education
1965 In the tide of the extension of the Faculty of Philosophy, by decree of the Ministry of Education (12 August 1956), the Department of Physical Education gets inaugurated. Prof. Dr. Erwin Niedermann gets appointed as Head of Department; in winter tem 1965-1966 he cedes the direction of the University Sport Institute to Hofrat Prof. Felix Grösslhuber. The post of the department’s Chairman of Academic Education is taken over by Hofrat Prof. Felix Grösslhuber.
The Department of Physical Education opens its first semester with eight students (2 females, 6 males) who passed the motor aptitude test and the medical examination.
Administration and lecture rooms were located Haydnstraße 5, the practical courses were held in school gymnasiums and athletic grounds of various sport clubs.
1971 Dr. Erwin Niedermann gets appointed as Director of the Department of Physical Education. (1.September1971)
1972 Dir. Dr. Erwin Niedermann gets appointed as Professor of Honors of the Faculty of Philosophy teaching „History and Theory of Physical Education“. (13 January 1972)
1974 Appointment of Dr. Erwin Niedermann as University Professor for Physical Education and Sport Science at the Faculty of Philosophy of Salzburg University. (24 May 1974)
Department of Sport Science
1976 Renaming of the Department of Physical Education to Department of Sport Sciences. Along with the department’s juridical integration into university structures, the department’s location changes, too; administration and lecture rooms are now situated in the building Mühlbacherhofweg 6.
1981 Retirement of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Erwin Niedermann, who was Head of Department until now. Appointment of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Stefan Größing as Professor for Sport Pedagogy. With the academic year 1981-1982 Univ.-Prof. Dr. Stefan Größing takes over the chairmanship of the Department.
1985 Election and appointment of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Stefan Größing as Dean of the Faculty of Humanities. Ao. Univ.-Prof. Dr. Reinhard Bachleitner-Hofmann is now Head of Department.
1986 Completion of the Universitäts- und Landesportzentrum Rif (Sport Center of the University and the Province of Salzburg). For the first time the Department of Sport Sciences has its own sport grounds.
1987 Univ.-Prof. Dr. Stefan Größing becomes Head of Department again.
1989 The department’s location moves to Akademiestraße 26.
1993 Appointment of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Erich Müller as Professor for Movement- and Training Sciences. This structural change was accompanied by a significant staff expansion of the department.
1994 Univ.-Prof. Dr. Erich Müller becomes Head of the Department of Sport Sciences, University of Salzburg.
1996 Organization of the 1. International Congress on Skiing and Science (ICSS, St. Christoph/Arlberg, January 1996).
1999 Expansion of the sport grounds in Rif.
2001 Establishment and start of the university course of studies “Sport Journalism”.
2002 Establishment and start of the university course of studies “MAS Health & Fitness”.
2003 Organization of the 8. Congress of the European College of Sport Science (ECSS, July 2003) in the Congress Center of Salzburg. The high number of 1600 participants from 64 countries makes it the largest congressional event so far in the history of the Paris Lodron University Salzburg.
Department of Sport Science and Kinesiology/USI
2004 In the course of restructuring the organization at Salzburg University, 1 January 2004, the Department of Sport Sciences becomes an Interfaculty Department, the so called Department of Sport Science and Kinesiology / USI.
June 2004 Establishment of the Christian Doppler Laboratory „Biomechanics in Skiing“. The main partners of this project are the Department and Atomic®.
July 2004 The department moves to Rif/Hallein. From now on the whole department is located in the castle of Rif.
2005 Establishment and start of the university course of studies “MAS Sports Physiotherapy”.
September 2011: Univ.-Prof. Dr. becomes Head of the Department, Univ.-Prof. Dr Erich Müller becomes Vicerektor of Educational Affaires